BEST TABLA IN INDIA
Indian classical music is a treat to the years. Whenever we think of the Classical form of music, many instruments pass through our thoughts. One of that obvious instruments is Tabla. Tabla constitutes the most important part of the Classical form of music. In the northern region of India, Tabla is the most famous percussion instrument. Without tabla, any classical event or musical show is incomplete. The incomparable music that a tabla creates always rings in the ears and would want to listen again and again. This instrument is solely responsible to give the right rhythm and depth to classical music.
A brief perception about Tabla and its popularity: –
The soul of Indian Classical music is tabla. With the beats of tabla, a Kathak dancer synchronizes their footsteps. Tabla possesses a greater emphasis on Afghani music apart from its popularity throughout India. Different sizes of tabla in contrasting types are used all over the regions, like in Nepal, Bhutan, and Pakistan, tabla is a major vital instrument when it comes to celebrating music.
Assembling a Tabla:-
Tabla never comes single always in a duet made up of two different hand drums. Both of the hand drums or rather a tabla set produce two different tonal quality sounds making them very distinct in their sound format. Tablas combined with two types of wood, one is teak and another is rosewood. Below is a brief account of the constitution of a tabla and everything need to be known before proceeding to buy one:
- Dayan, also known as Tabla, is called a smaller drum made of wood. Dayan’s role in the best tabla set is for playing the high-pitched notes in music. Always placed on the right side of the player as its name specifies. When you mastered the role of Dayan and learning it, you might so well learn creating your choice in bell-like notes.
- One distinct difference between Dayan and Bayan is that Bayan is made up of metal. Bayan is also known as Dugga and is larger. It makes a whooping sound. As its name bayan indicates that the instrument should be kept on the left side.
BEST TABLA in India TO CHOOSE FOR PROFESSIONALS, STUDENTS, AND BEGINNERS
1) SG Musical BSTABLA215Tabla–
Best quality tabla set usually made of good quality handmade metal bayan and sheeshamdayan. Manufactured in India. A beginner can purchase this as the tabla set is easier to carry and when the product is tuned fully when bought. Dimensions of shesehamdayan (treble), the head is 5 to 5.5 inches and height is 10-11 inches; steel bayan (bass), head 9-10 inches whereas height is 10-11 inches. The net weight of the product is 9kgs. High-quality cushions and covers are provided with the product itself and especially handmade puddis (drumheads)
- Easy to carry the product.
- Fully tuned product when bought.
- Made with good quality metal and wood.
- The metal drum provided is handmade.
- Supreme quality cushions.
- The product doesn’t look attractive.
2)LAGSAR Tabla with Cover, Hammer, and Gaddi (Silver)–
- Tabla the bayan made of steel
- Dayan made of sheesham wood
- Colour - Silver
The complete table set consists of two single-headed, barrel-shaped small drums of slightly different sizes and shapes. The smaller pakhawaj head for the dayan, the naqqara kettledrum for the bayan, and the flexible use of brass of the dholak made it all the more fetching for any musician. The bayan i.e., the left side drum of tabla made of steel. The dayan i.e., the right side drum of tabla is made of sheesham wood. Comes in exotic silver making the product look more attractive. The net weight of the tabla set is 2kgs.
- Features in bayan made of steel and dayan made up of shesham.
- Light-weighted product.
- Easy to carry around.
- Best for beginners.
- Silver-coloured tabla making it shinier and glossier in appearance
- Doesn’t provide accessories with the product.
3)Surjan Singh & Sons Brass Tabla Set Brass Material–
- Brass Bayan (Bass - Left Metal Drum) Head 9 to 9.25 Inches Height 10 to 11 Inches Weight 2.5 to 3 KG
- FREE CARRY BAG
- Special Sheesham Dayan (Treble - Right Wooden Drum) Head 5 to 5.5 Inches Height 10 to 11 Inches
- It includes bag,binnu,hammer and cloth for covering the upper head of the Tabla.
The best choice tabla for experts as well as beginners. The best quality product provided with all the accessories, exclusively available in the market at a great price range. A company, Surjan Singh & Sons manufacture tablas and this company is located in Amritsar, Punjab. The product when bought is itself auto-tuned to C#, D# i.e., a high-pitched tone. The bayan is made of brass weighs 3kgs, the best bass produce by this best quality leather head (puda). Dayan the right drum made of sheesham weighs 4kgs, high-quality sheesham used kacchaPakkaSheesham. The net weight of the tabla set is 9kgs in total. Along with the tabla set accessories are provided too like a bag, binnu, hammer, and a cloth to cover the upper head of Tabla.
- Made by experienced craftsmen.
- Made with high-quality material.
- Good sound quality.
- Bayan is made from high-quality brass.
- Dayan is beautifully designed and well-tuned.
- The product includes a bag, binnu, hammer, and cloth for covering the upper head of the Tabla.
- The product is highly-priced.
4) AksharTabla Mart Professional Sheesham Wood Dayan/Tabla–
- 9 inch Heavy Quality Bayan 2 kg . 5 to 5.5 sheesham Wood Dayan (tabla) 4kg . with water proof Bag , Gaddi chumbal set. , Hammer , pvc Gatta. Very good sound quality.
If you are a beginner and want to start learning how to play tabla with not a higher price range then this product is the right choice for you, because this tabla is a low budget one, you can consider adding this tabla to your wishlist. A professional-level tabla manufactured by AksharTabla Mart specializes mainly in tabla manufacturers in Gujarat. It’s composed of heavy steel, which is very good at this price point. Produces decent sound quality. The net weight of the product is 6kgs in total. Accessories include the waterproof bag, Gaddichumbal set, hammer, PVC Gatta.
- Very good sound quality.
- Lightweight product.
- Tabla set is beautifully designed.
- Low on budget
- Perfect to start learning tabla for beginners.
- The product possesses some manufacturing defects.
5) Trading Dukan #2 Tabla Set –
- Special Indian Tabla Set - Hammer - Sheesham Dayan - Bag
- Brand New Product
- GOOD QUALITY STUDENT TABLA SET
- Quality Product
- Tested Before Shipping
A product made in India. Student-friendly tabla set as it is easier to carry around. Made with good quality, a handmade metal drum which is bayan and high-quality sheesham wood used in dayan. A high-quality product which is very good at this price point. The tabla set doesn’t come alone, it does come with great quality cushions and covers. The puddings which are the drumheads are specially handmade and exotic sheesham wood is used for dayan. Manufacturer hails from India, a named company known for manufacturing the best quality tabla sets, TadingDukan.
- Newly launched product.
- Comes in good quality.
- Bayan and Dayan are made of good quality metal and wood.
- The product doesn’t come along with accessories.
6) S.A Trading Company ABC009 Copper Tabla Set –
- Product dimension (L*B*H): Bayan - 30 cm*24cm*30cm , Dayan: 27cm*14cm*26cm
- Material used - Copper bayan and sheesham Wood dayan
- Circumference of tabla varies from 5 inches to 5.50 inches as per requirement
- special hand made pooris & baddi
- Comes with a padded carry bag , a tuning hammer and high quality cushions & covers
A product said to be good when it is of high range. However, it is not always true. Yes, this product is a bit pricy. The tabla set comprises a designer copper Bayan and Dayan made of Sheesham wood. In this particular model of tabla set, the bayan is made of copper. Look wise the product is very attractive and will catch sight. The product is always auto-tuned when bought. It might be over priced but the product quality counts a lot and the quality provided is very good. The tabla set was received with a beautiful packaging bag. Bayan is 2.5 to 2.7kg in weight, 3.5 to 4.5 kg of dayan. The circumference of copper bayan is 9.25 to 9.5 inches, height is 11 to 12 inches whereas, the circumference of dayan is 5.25 to 5.45 inches, height is 9.5 to 10.5 inches. Accessories provided are special handmade pudis, cushions and covers, a hammer, and a carry bag.
- Made up of wood and copper.
- The color is very natural.
- Net weight is 7kgs.
- Accessories are provided with the product.
- Manufactured in India.
- Pricy product.
- Doesn’t sound pleasant.
7) AksharTabla Mart Steel Bayan Sheesham Wood Dayan–
- 9 inch Heavy Quality Bayan 2 kg . 5 to 5.5 sheesham Wood Dayan (tabla) 4kg . with water proof Bag , Gaddi chumbal set. , Hammer , pvc Gatta. Very good sound quality.
AksharTabla Mart produces a wide range of variants of tabla sets. One of the major variants is this tabla set. In this tabla set, the tabla is made of sheesham wood. Its mouth is from 5 to 5.5 inches. Its height is 11 inches. It is provided with a leather strip. This tabla weighs up to 2.5kg. The bayan is made of stainless steel. The height is 11 inches. The mouth is 9 inches in diameter. The net weight is 2kg. It has a leather strip. This tabla is good for those who want to learn tabla and new to the music world. With this tabla set a bag is provided, cushion set, ring set, hammer, plastic gutta, which will help to fit the statement. If there is no budget problem, one can use a higher model which is the classical-based one mentioned above.
- Better quality model.
- The product is perfectly tuned.
- Best price range product.
- Lightweight, easy to carry.
- The packaging is weak.
- Possess manufacturing defects.
8) SG MusicalDeluxeTabla Set–
A product made in India, easy to carry. A fully tuned product. The bestselling good quality tabla set. The handmade metal drum is bayan and sheeshamdayan. High-quality cushion and covers, special handmade puddis (drumheads), special sheeshamdayan (treble- right wooden drum) head up to 5.5 inches, height 10-11 inches, special tuning hammer, steel bayan (bass- left metal drum) head 9 to 9.25 inches, height 10-11 inches. The net weight of the product is 1.88 kgs. Manufactured in India, the company’s name is SG Musical.
- Handmade product.
- Natural colored model.
- The product when bought is fully tuned.
- High-quality cushion and covers provided, special handmade puddis (drumheads).
- Not beginner-friendly model.
9)Baba Surjan Singh & Sons Professional wooden Indian Musical Instruments Tabla–
- Easy to play and handle
- High quality Iron on nickel polished made Tabla
- It includes bag,hammer,binnu and cloth for covering the upper head of tabla.
- Best Quality
- Brand:- BABA SURJSN SINGH & SONS - BSSS
Indian handmade tabla export quality. The tabla is the most popular Indian rhythm instrument as we all know and this model serves exactly this purpose. It consists of two drums, the bayan (big drum bass) made of metal and the dayan made of wood. The company name Baba Surjan Singh and Sons, BSSS is an Indian-based company. The net weight of the tabla set is 7.83kgs. The bayan is made of iron which makes it more unique in this quality and appearance.
- Easy to play.
- Beginner-friendly as it is easier to handle.
- High-quality iron or nickel polished made Tabla.
- Includes bag, hammer, binnu, and cloth for covering the upper head of tabla.
- Best quality.
- The product is not auto tuned, tuning needs to be done by own.
10) Saraswathi 2-Piece Nickel Plated Brass Tabla Set–
- This tabla set is made of the best quality material. The bayan is made of brass with nickel plated and the daya is made of wood
- Dimensions: Dugga Diameter - 9 inch, Tabla Mouth Diameter - 5 inch
- Made of good quality hand beaten acoustic materials suitable for beginner to professional level players
- Tabla set is mainly used in presenting traditional, classical, popular and folk music. It is the most important instrument used in Hindustani Classical music
- Package contents: 1 Dugga, 1 Tabla, 2 bottom rings, 2 top cover & 1 hammer, 1 bag. This Tabla set is widely used in temples, marriages and other ceremonial functions in many parts of the world
This tabla set is made of the best quality material. The bayan is made of brass with nickel-plated and the dayan is made of wood. Dimensions of the tabla set are Dugga diameter is 9 inches and tabla mouth diameter is 5 inches. The tabla set is made of good quality hand-beaten acoustic materials suitable for beginners to a professional level. The net weight is 6.88kgs.
- Suitable for beginners as well professionals.
- Widely used in temples, marriages, and other ceremonial functions.
- Made of best quality material.
- Not recommended for one who will start learning tabla.
Points to be followed up before heading to buy a tabla:
Tabla price in India: Tabla price doesn’t cost one a fortune. Before buying a musical instrument firstly what matters more is the product’s quality as when we think of using the product, we always want to use it in the long run. When we buy a good tabla set we always want it in the best quality only by spending a little more when we shop for it.
The basic model of Tabla starts from a price range of 3,000/- and can reach up to a maximum of 10,000/-. This starting of the price range is flexible only for beginners. If you are a professional musician, the starting tabla price is 15,000/- when at a professional level and keeps on increasing. The more high-quality tabla, the higher goes the price too. Planning for long-term use of tabla set or want to perceive music as a career option then heads on buying professional-level tablas.
- Proper tuning of Tabla:
Tuning, one of the very few instruments, the tabla, works on this principle. Everything is on the fingers to play both the drums, which depicts various expressions and good quality of sound. Applying some pressure using the heel of the hand brings out different tonal quality of sound. When the hand slide is done on the tabla, the payer who is playing the device can tune to the pitch, hence creating sound on different scales.
The most important and interesting feature of this device is tuning also the essential part of the instrument. Proper tension is also required on the drumheads which will generate a proper pleasant tone. Continuous tuning needs to be done suitable for the type of music being played or a ‘Raaag’ which is being played. With time it will become gripey on hands and fingers. When at the beginner level first work will be paying attention to the tuning of the tabla. Always preferable to such a tabla which can be tuned easily, especially when the performer is getting ready to play at solo concerts. Tabla could match or complement any melody when the device is fully tuned suitably.
iii. With a proper built:
A proper building of the Tabla is necessary to use the instrument for long-term use. A proper sound- quality of a tabla can be obtained when purchasing one in a strong built. Experts advise that the much heavier the drums, the good and better the quality of sound of this instrument. The choice of Dayan, should always be Rosewood or Teak making it more superior, and when it comes to choosing Bayan always buy one with brass or copper alloys. The painted steel tablas won’t be of premium quality and it is recommended not a good choice while buying.
It is always upon the quality of any tabla that always sticks out, and if it is a cheaper version tabla and spending bucks on it, the fruitful result which is expected from a tabla would not be able to play awe-inspiring music. Check on the weight of tabla, a vital point to be looked at. A standard tabla set would range from 4 and 5 kg if possible.
- Check on – Right accessories:
An important point to be noted when buying the best tabla always look for the right accessories provided with the instrument. It is suggested that one must look for all the necessary accessories, when buying a tabla set on the whole and must be bought everything from one place. Why are accessories important? The accessories of a tabla play the most important role in maintaining the quality of the instrument. Good quality accessories enhance tabla’s durability and one might end up using the tabla in a long run effortlessly. Tabla- most important accessories are the hammer used in tuning the tabla, talcum powder to give a grip and slip to tabla while playing, to cover the drumheads of the tabla a decent proper cover called the Dugga heads, rings for helping the tabla set properly. During shows and concerts, etc., carrying a bag of the tabla to carry the instrument to places is also necessary. So, here are some care tips to protect the tabla and keep the instrument intact.
The best brand tabla would provide one with the above-listed points so that one doesn’t end up looking for them from one stop to another.
More if you want to know
There are some of the best available tablas in the Indian Market. Going through the above features of the tablas people might think that they are all similar but somewhere they possess many differences making them distinct from one another. Make sure you check every feature of tabla before buying and not to get carried away with the trademark or brand name. Tablas are bought according to one’s size, age physical strength of a person so that he/she health is not affected or one’s performance. When a tabla is bought it should be kept in mind one buying is a beginner or a professional. Maintenance is a must, tablas should be taken care of, if not it is wrong to expect the tabla in long run. So, it needs to be played from time to time to relax it and bring out its original sound quality and is maintained.
Why choose to play the Tabla? A vivid question of course and the answer to it will be playing tabla doesn’t only make you learn and handle instrument but as well experience that learning to play tabla do possess some other benefits. Let’s go the other way round rather more scientifically, playing tabla helps in increment of awareness and kinaesthetic development of the body, had to use some scientific term. Some more benefits of tabla are if one is a student, he/she might as well learn coordination and inner self-control with time intervals while learning the instrument. The tuning of mind, body, and also other senses is bettered with playing the tabla or learning the tabla similarly. One may buy it anytime from anywhere and begin to learn with perfection.
How to learn Tabla? Yes, the tabla is one of the complex musical instruments, some mastered it well and some still going on mastering it. It has difficult techniques of playing reflects a lot on if the tabla is played in its right and proper manner. Dhaa, Dhin, Ga, Ka, and some other bols are there too that are recited while playing tabla. The fun fact is that there are various style classifications of how a tabla being played in different tones. There are Delhi style, Purbi style, according to various Raags, and more. So, visit a tabla class and start taking lessons, yes, it is beneficial to one a lot.
The recommendation would be to shortlist and try out a bunch of tablas before calming down for one.
More articles you may love to read are